Monday 14 February 2011

Star Cross'd Lovers...

Happy V-day! I hope it has been a wonderful day for lots of people, but for those of you have not been adorned with armfuls of roses, chocolates or champagne-star lit- balloon rides - let us rejoice in the world of film and literature (because let's face it, Mr Darcy is just better than the real thing.

Of course, it is only right to begin with the aforementioned man of every girl's dreams; Mr Fitzwilliam Darcy. He is a total cock to start off with, but there is something deeply charming about him, his long intense stares, his complete admiration of Elizabeth. If only the world was awash with Darcy's?



Another of my favourites, is Captain Frederick Wentworth, from another Austen classic - Persuasion. As opposed to Darcy, he is only rude because his love was unrequited, because he was shunned, it his heartache that speaks rudely to Anne. My favourite moment from Persuasion is the love letter that he writes to Anne, so here it is for you all;

'I can listen no longer in silence. I must speak to you by such means as are within my reach. You pierce my soul. I am half agony, half hope. Tell me not that I am too late, that such precious feelings are gone for ever. I offer myself to you again with a heart even more your own than when you almost broke it, eight years and a half ago. Dare not say that man forgets sooner than woman, that his love has an earlier death. I have loved none but you. Unjust I may have been, weak and resentful I have been, but never inconstant. You alone have brought me to Bath. For you alone, I think and plan. Have you not seen this? Can you fail to have understood my wishes? I had not waited even these ten days, could I have read your feelings, as I think you must have penetrated mine. I can hardly write. I am every instant hearing something which overpowers me. You sink your voice, but I can distinguish the tones of that voice when they would be lost on others. Too good, too excellent creature! You do us justice, indeed. You do believe that there is true attachment and constancy among men. Believe it to be most fervent, most undeviating in.

F. W.

I must go, uncertain of my fate; but I shall return hither, or follow your party, as soon as possible. A word, a look, will be enough to decide whether I enter your father's house this evening or never.'

Super-swoon. No wonder Anne runs through Bath to find him. Gosh, why can't I ever receive letters like this? Oh, and if the letter wasn't enough, here's a cheeky picture!



Next up, something a tad more modern - Patrick Verona ala 10 Things I Hate About You. Because does anyone know a guy who would sing to you and buy you a Fender? No. I didn't think so.



An 80s classic coming up for you now, Jake Ryan from Sixteen Candles is the typical hot-high schooler...except he chooses the girl whose a nobody..Now who can say they honestly didn't dream of that in school? Hell, I still dream of that now. We love you Jake Ryan!



And, just to finish off, how about a bad boy? They are the most fun after all...The wonderful, the delicious, the total bad boy to the bone; Jason Dean aka Christian Slateer. Despite his desire to kill everyone, even the girl he loves, he is a hottie. Don't try and deny it! I know you WOULD...



There you have it, my Top Five Lovers...albeit fictional ones...but a girl can dream, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment