Thursday 14 April 2011

The Crimson Petal and the White: Review

Its probably important to state that I am extremely bias when it comes to period dramas, mainly because I am ever so slightly obsessed with them - and when I say them, I really do mean pretty much all of them. Its unsurprising then, that I am absolutely head over corset in love with the BBC's new period offering 'The Crimson Petal and the White' adapted from the novel by Michael Faber.

It follows Sugar, the young prostitute with ambitions to become a writer and make a name for herself in dark, dank Victorian London. She's truly a wonderful character, and although normally prostitution is normally upsetting to watch in fictional programmes, it wasn't this time. It just looked like a woman in control of her life; making things happen for herself. Now, Sugar has become the infatuation of William Rackham; a powerful patriarch who just happens to have connections within the publishing world. Unfortunately for him, he is tied down by his slightly disturbed wife, Mrs Rackham whose character is very disturbing to watch, especially the abuse she receives from her Doctor - played by the fabulous Richard E Grant.

Now, I have only watched the first episode - I am desperate to watch the second, but my Mother would kill me! It's quite different to light fluffy period dramas I am normally accustomed to; Cranford, Lost in Austen, Downton Abbey etc...Don't get me wrong, I love each and everyone of them - especially Downton! But its rare that such a dark period drama could be so enjoyable to watch without desperately wincing away from the screen. I think its Faber's novel that makes it quite so brilliant, as it has stayed fairly close to the original text which is fabulous. The setting and costumes are also beautiful, despite the grungy and generally unclean atmosphere they give off.

All in all, I would highly recommend this programme this to anyone who is looking for something a bit different from a period drama; it feels real, it feels gritty and you will be completely absorbed in the world of the characters...



So, in the words of the wonderful protagonist Sugar; "Watch your step. Keep your wits about you; you will need them. This city I am bringing you to is vast and intricate, and you have not been here before..."

No comments:

Post a Comment