Friday 29 April 2011

A Right Royal Flush...

Just picture it. Its 1947. And you are about to see one of the most influential people in all your world, get married before your very eyes. There's parties. There's flags everywhere. Everyone is happy, they're smiling, they're singing out in the streets. Today is one of best days of your life. Its the day that Queen Elizabeth II gets married...and you get to be a part of it.




More than half a century later, and the world is still enraptured with following the perfect love story. Its not just about that though, in these modern times community spirit or national pride are not phrases that often find their way into the conversations of the public, but today - 29th April 2011 - they did. Today, Prince William and Catherine Middleton got married in front of over 2 billion people watching live worldwide. Now, I'm the first to admit that I watched all of it, I was totally engrossed - seeing Wills leave for Westminster, seeing guests in their fabulous (and sometimes, not so...) outfits taking their places and of course, seeing the most important aspect of all, THE dress. Its not only this part of it either, its because we have come together as a country to celebrate together, an occasion that unites us all, we witnessed an amazing piece of history today, which I for one, will never forget.

But for some people, today was filled with cynicism, I was called 'deluded' for believing that Will and Kate were truly in love, and a wonderful fairytale couple. Why shouldn't I believe that? It happens! People fall in love and that's often the way it stays and what girl doesn't want to believe in Prince Charming? There's also a belief that a Royal Family isn't important, well, they may not make decisions any more, but look at what they did today! Billions of people were watching our little country because they were enraptured by it; now what other event or country can do that? Nobody can do patriotism like we can, that's for sure. The wedding is over, and we're still celebrating - we were so good at queueing to see the wedding and then celebrating it in a totally orderly fashion!

This post, is basically just to say, I loved the wedding. I loved everything about it. The atmosphere in my house was electric and it was only my Mum, me and my Nan! I loved the anticipation about the dress, the ceremony and the kiss on the balcony...What a wonderful day to be British and I am so glad I got to be a part of it.

So here I am, a modern, independent girl who loves our Royal Family. And of course, a good knees up. So before you judge me, my views or the royal family, just think how you've enjoyed today. Just think of what they have done for this country.

Before I go, here's a few snaps of the best parts of today...


Kate's beautiful dress, by Sarah Burton for Alexander McQueen.


The lovely, romantic - if ever so brief - kiss.

Now...where's this street party?!

No comments:

Post a Comment